Forever loved, never forgotten.

After Shock. 14th December, 2007.

A thin layer of clouds cloaked the moon-star light sky. The story lay
clenched in my hands, tightly. Now, she lay in darkness and silence,
her memories covered, hidden in mud. Flashbacks and scrambled
thoughts, running through vast and barren pastures of my mind; she
left a scar a bit too concentrated, pulsating pain from within an
irreparable void. Her story; unraveling a serious of lachrymose events
of suffering, regret, hurt and love: all that that caused an immutable
destruction, the loss; a friend, gone.

As I saw her being assigned her new room, six feet under in a
cemetery, I remembered having sat with her on a bench in the
schoolyard, on a summer afternoon, she was smiling exuberantly,
garrulously telling me about a person who she called "My Stranger", of
his impeccable personality that captivated her reality then, how
expeditiously the person was becoming her purpose, how he made her
happy and complete. Not knowing then, that once her stranger would be made to
leave, she would find no other reason for survival, and would
eventually disintegrate into the ground.


From that day to this, lay two years of extreme abstracts; of passion,
hope, serenity turned to wretchedness, despair, a war that only
existed in her head. He became her life, everything that meant
anything was that person for whom she would give her world for, ironic
because she actually did. I remember, how the concrete walls of their
hand built fort, each fell, one by one, and shattered into tiny
granules of cement, dehiscing her world of perfection. Every
microscopic bit of the breaking fort, extracted life from her soul,
leaving nothing but a body.

I can still hear her call out to me; wailing, searching for answers
and reasons, she could not find and I, could not cater; for even the
things she wanted, needed most. Even though, I clasped her hands with
all my power, strength, might, I had to still watch her slip into the
dark pit, a massive black hole, an eternal abyss. There was nothing, I
could do to save her from her, to save her from her solitude, misery,
and abandonment, to shelter her from her doom.

She was a friend I loved, and failed. I tried my best and the thought
stabs me, which was that I was unable to make her believe in hope. In
her last few days, she spoke of magic without spells, spoke of love
that was immaculate, spoke of a never ending friendship; all to
manipulate me from trying harder, to deceive me into believing she was
getting better, when in fact, she was only being sucked acutely into
the incessant cavity. It makes me wonder if she always knew that, my
efforts, my ropes to grab her out of this would fall short or if, they
would break upon applying too much pressure, and that is why she became
unmindful to them, blind to my help.

The last time we spoke was the day before her demise, 13th December,
2007. She masked her thoughts and feelings, in pseudo cheerfulness and contentment. Once again, fooling me, as if she had done many times before.
She said in her dainty voice, 'How you seen the sky at night, when all the stars are shining their best? It looks as if diamonds have been
scattered on a long, black, velvet veil. When I look at the sky, at
night, it makes me feel satisfied, and the moon reflects comfort
from its radiating light. It makes me think that distances are not
that wide, because no matter where we are we will all be under the
same sky.'
I stand here, knowing that she at times spoke of life, even though; 
she had died a long time ago. She had died when the stranger had let
go of the remaining pieces, because her denial was her hope; and there
was nothing to deny, after the stranger gave her back, the remnants
that she believed would fix their relationship. She was right, the
immeasurable expansion of space was comforting but at the same time, she lied. On this night, and the nights to come ahead in the future, only one of us would be covered under the veil of black; while she would turn back into the clay she was made of.

To all those people at her funeral, she was a person, a teenage
tragedy; to me she was a misunderstood facade, painted black. She was
a disguise, behind a sheet of protection too thin, wrapped tightly,
almost too much so, in her cocoon. She had been afraid and uneasy
about letting people in, even me; the only one to enter the delicate
folds and wander into the darkness, unquestionably, was the Stranger.
Observing her disguise now, broken and gone, an eggshell stepped upon
far too many times, I did not see the face of a friend, but the hollow
remnant of where she was once complete, where her soul and her
beautiful mind grew and was nourished, before it flew away, wings
bent, on an expedition to the seven skies. She was the author of her
own story, a friend of the world's, but her own enemy, the griever and
the grieved. Looking up at the starlit sky, my eyes brimmed with tears
but her memories contained them within. Her spirit had left me alone,
but it had removed all the telltale traces of guilt. I had tried. I
had tried until my nerves were frayed, my energy spent, my joy
depleted. But now, she had left me in a world that was serene, so
serene that I embraced it with arms open and headlight. That was when
I knew that the chains she was strained by had broken and she had
found eternal solace. So had I. Now, she is gone, a friend, a lover
and now an angel.

Forever loved, never forgotten.

Comments

Anonymous said…
=)
have i read this before?
Unknown said…
absolutely beautiful expression of your feelings and hers...

love the choice of words and how you put them together

absolutely touchin... i was drawn deep into it till you bugged me on msn :P ... lol !!!

lov it !!!
Anonymous said…
is this true?
Anonymous said…
May God bless her soul.
Eminu said…
She isn't dead, but the alacrity for living life died, that long ago.

Popular posts from this blog

How much.

Drafts Four